ATO Announces Alternative JobKeeper Test
The eligibility requirements for the JobKeeper payment scheme has resulted in many businesses experiencing a reduction in revenue, but still not qualifying for salary support from the Government. An alternative test to support businesses in these circumstances has come into effect.
Officially named the Coronavirus Economic Response Package (Payments and Benefits) Alternative Decline in Turnover Test Rules 2020, the alternative tests addresses seven circumstances.
- Where an entity commences business after the relevant comparison period in 2019 or the business did not exist in the comparison period, therefore there is no relevant comparison period in 2019
- Where an entity acquired or disposed of part of the business after the comparison period in 2019
- Where an entity has restructured part or all of the business after the comparison period in 2019
- Entities who had an increase in turn over by 50 per cent or more in the 12 months before the applicable turnover test period
- Entities who had an increase of 50 per cent or more in the six months before the applicable turnover test period
- Entities who had an increase of 12.5 per cent or more in the three months before the applicable turnover test period
- A sole trader or small partnership where the sole trader or one of the partners did not work for all or part of the comparison period due to illness, injury or were on leave during the comparison period – and those circumstances affected the turnover of the sole trader or partnership
Each circumstance has its own alternative test. More information can be found on the test circumstances here.
The full legislation, Coronavirus Economic Response Package (Payments and Benefits) Alternative Decline in Turnover Test Rules 2020, explains each test circumstance requirements and relevant testing.
Want to know more?
As Government stimulus measures are frequently changing, we are continually updating and creating new tools and information for you. To review the latest materials on COVID-19, please click here. This page will be regularly updated, so please check back in from time to time.
Below are some articles that may interest you:
- JobKeeper Package Update: How to Apply
- JobKeeper Payment: Relief for Employers and Employees
- Are you entitled to the Federal Government Stimulus Package
- Government Stimulus Package for Business
- Government Stimulus Package for Individuals
- Australian Tax Office Relief
We’re here to support you through the changes. From making the most of the stimulus initiatives, through to managing the risks associated with the impact of the Coronavirus, the Modoras team is here to help you build a resilient business. Make well-informed business decisions; contact us on 1300 888 803 book a catch up with a Modoras professional.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This blog has been prepared by Modoras Accounting (QLD) Pty. Ltd. ABN 81 601 145 215. The information and opinions contained in this blog is general information only and is not intended to represent specific personal advice (Accounting, taxation, financial, insurance or credit). No individuals’ personal circumstances have been taken into consideration for the preparation of this material. The information and opinions herein do not constitute any recommendation to purchase, sell or hold any particular financial product. Modoras Accounting (QLD) Pty. Ltd. recommends that no financial product or financial service be acquired or disposed of or financial strategy adopted without you first obtaining professional personal financial advice suitable and appropriate to your own personal needs, objectives, goals and circumstances. Information, forecasts and opinions contained in this blog can change without notice. Modoras Accounting (QLD) Pty. Ltd. does not guarantee the accuracy of the information at any particular time. Although care has been exercised in compiling the information contained within, Modoras Accounting (QLD) Pty. Ltd. does not warrant that the articles within are free from errors, inaccuracies or omissions. To the extent permissible by law, neither Modoras Accounting (QLD) Pty. Ltd. nor its employees, representatives or agents (including associated and affiliated companies) accept liability for loss or damages incurred as a result of a person acting in reliance of this publication. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.